16-18 Sep 2013 Meudon (France)
The meeting will be held at the Observatory of Meudon (part of the Observatory of Paris and located 5 km south-west from Paris) : 5 Place Jules Janssen, 92190 Meudon, France. It will take place in the Centre International d'Ateliers Scientifiques (International Center for Scientific Workshops) located in the historical castle of the Meudon Observatory (Building 9, Château or Grande coupole).
A detailed map the Observatory of Meudon is available : here
You can access the Observatory of Meudon from Paris via public transport using the following two routes. The optimal route from Paris Montparnasse station to Bellevue-Meudon is via the train MOPI. Board the train in the direction of Mantes La Jolie. These trains depart every 15 minutes and the journey takes approximately 12 minutes. The optimal route from Paris-Saint-Michel station to Meudon-val-Fleury station is via RER C. Board the train bound for Versailles Rive Gauche/Chateau de Versailles. These trains depart every 4-5 minutes and the journey takes approximately 25 minutes. A map of the RER-C route can be found here.
After leaving the train, walk up to the Observatory. It will take approximately 30 minutes at a leisurely pace to get to the CIAS where the meeting is taking place. Remember the Observatory is uphill. There will not be a coach service in operation, except for people having difficulties to walk (in this case, please contact the LOC).
As a pedestrian, you can access the Observatory by the Place Jules Janssen entrance, the door code will be supplied by email by the LOC. If you're coming by car, use the 11, avenue Marcelin Berthelot entrance where there is a guard who will have an access list. Once inside, there will be signs to point you to the direction of the meeting place (Building 9, Château / Grande coupole, CIAS).
Here are the links to suburbs transports website to check for lines and timetables:
Transilien: Suburb train from Paris Montparnasse - Meudon/Bellevue
RATP (Metro and RER): interactive map for trips inside Paris
Lunches / dinners :
Lunches will be taken at the Observatory's restaurant (building 4). An unformal "apéritif dînatoire" will be offered at the Castle (building 9) on tuesday evening, after the last session of the day.
Modest fees of 50€ per person will be requested at the registration desk at the opening of the meeting.
There are two main options for attendees. You can either stay close to the Meudon Observatory (1), or you can stay close to the Montparnasse Train Station in Paris (2), which allows easy train access to Meudon-Bellevue. Rates for the hotels on this list range from 60 euros to 200 euros per night (Etap < Ibis < Novotel < Mercure). A third option is to stay along the RER-C line, which includes Saint-Michel/Quartier Latin, the Champ de Mars/Eiffel Tower, etc. (see map above) with a quasi-infinite choice of hotels (see hotel booking sites).
(1) These hotels are relatively close to the Observatory. Most are on the opposite side of the Meudon forest from the Observatory and there are few local bus services to it. Select this option if you are willing to walk, drive or take a cab from the hotels to the Observatory (> 2 km).
• Etap Hotel Meudon : http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-6277-etap-hotel-meudon/index.shtml (15 min by foot, recommanded)
• Hotel Forest Hill Meudon : http://www.foresthill-hotels.com/meudon-HomePageen-5.html
• Hotel Mercure Meudon-la-Foret : http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-1733-mercure-meudon-la-foret/index.shtml
• Hotel Ibis Paris-Meudon-Velizy : http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-0948-ibis-paris-meudon-velizy/index.shtml
(2) These hotels are far from the Observatory, but allow the use of convenient public transport to the Meudon-Bellevue train station from Montparnasse train station in Paris. The walk from the train station to the Observatory is straightforward and short (~1 km), as shown on this map:
• Hotel Ibis Tour Montparnasse : http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-5302-ibis-paris-tour-montparnasse-15eme/index.shtml
• Hotel Ibis Gare Montparnasse : http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-1875-ibis-paris-gare-montparnasse-15eme/index.shtml
• Hotel Concorde Montparnasse : http://montparnasse.concorde-hotels.com/en/?
• Hotel Pullman (ex Meridien) Montparnasse : http://www.pullmanhotels.com/gb/hotel-8189-pullman-paris-montparnasse/index.shtml
• Hotel Mercure Paris Gare Montparnasse : http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-0905-mercure-paris-gare-montparnasse/index.shtml
• Novotel Paris Gare Montparnasse : http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-5060-novotel-paris-gare-montparnasse/index.shtml
• Hotel du Parc : http://www.hotelduparc-paris.com/
• Timhotel Gaite Montparnasse : http://www.timhotel.com/en/our-hotels-details/19-timhotel-gaite-montparnasse.htm